Saturday, November 22, 2014

Day One! Or is it Day Two? What Day Is It Anyway?


We arrived in Boston, and ran into Melissa and Andrew from Icelandair in the elevator! They were on their way to meet us and we had gotten off on the wrong floor! They are the ones who gave us our plane tickets to Iceland. I have been emailing so much with Andrew that I felt like I was meeting my long lost brother.




The day we arrived (which was today, even though we left yesterday), we hit the ground, napped for a couple hours, had brunch with a new friend (to be revealed later!), had another hour so to relax, and then we met up with Auður of I Heart Reykjavik for a walking tour. It was Auður who spread the news here of Pippa´s fundraiser. What she doesn't know is that I have been reading her blog for months and months and was really eager to meet her. She brought her whole family, which was so nice. We had an abbreviated tour since Pippa was fading fast, but I would highly, highly recommend Auður's tours. She knows her history and she will show you the things the locals know. Her tours are not touristy, if you know what I mean.






Look very, very closely at this rock mural, with the gorgeous moss. This is one of my favorite spots today.



The view of Harpa concert hall. It is beautiful on an overcast day and gorgeous lit up at night.



This is the Kvosin Hotel where we are staying for the next few days. The manager, Snorri, met us at our car in the dark hours of the morning to make sure we could get right into our rooms. This hotel is so nice and comfortable. It's very much like home, or at least how I would like my home to look. I would call it rustic-modern, but there is nothing rustic about the duvets. There are like big, billowy clouds! I love a good duvet!



Tonight we ate dinner at Nora Magasin, which I had read about before coming here. It is literally 5 minutes — if not less — from the Kvosin. It was dark and cozy, and the food was delicious. To start, we had dried fish with soy butter (No kidding. It was delicious.) and bread with red pesto and smoked salmon. The smoked salmon is not what you would ordinarily think. It was more like a really delicious spread. The menfolk all had a seafood stew that had a hint of curry, while Pippa and I shared a spinach and truffle risotto. It was so, so good, but even better is that it came in a shockingly hot bowl and mixed at the table. I loved their presentation too: wooden slabs as trays with little mismatched bowls and jars as serving pieces.


We rushed the barely 5 minute walk back to make it maybe 4 minutes. We were awaiting our rental car delivery from the wonderful Johnny at Go Car Rental for tomorrow's adventure!

Bless bless for now.

3 comments:

  1. Keep it going strong Pippa, may all your dreams and wishes come true. Enjoy Iceland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Looking forward to more updates.... the next best thing to being there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy your first day was fun! And I just adore that you brought "me" along, too! I hope I don't keep you up all night jabbering. Heh Heh. I'm really looking forward to hearing about tomorrow. ;) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete