Monday, December 8, 2014

Saturday! Or The Big Day: Part One


Phew! I am still playing catch up. Since we have come back to KC, we have been trying to get back into our old routine. I spent the weekend working on laundry, which I am still not caught up on. We had a lot of things to unpack, and we put up some Christmas things. To be honest, Kevin and I aren't feeling the Christmas spirit very much. A little. But we sort of feel like we already had Christmas. Reykjavík was decorated for Christmas from the store fronts to the streetlights, and we had such a great time with friends and food. Being back here sort of feels like that post-Christmas letdown.

The day that Pippa got to meet her boys was Saturday, November 29. Saturday is going to be a two-part post because I need to do the day justice. Sorry to be a tease and make you wait!

Here are some outdoor shots of Höfdatún, the guesthouse we stayed in outside Selfoss. The house was so comfortable and, boy, was I happy for the laundry facilities! We seriously needed some washing done so thank you, Þorey, for the laundry!



See our giant American vehicle. It was like the flipping' QEII!







Þorey took us across the road a bit to her parents' farm so we could meet the Icelandic horses and the sheep.



Pippa is slightly terrified below. Just slightly. She was fine until we suggested that she sit on this sweet mare. See her little fingers gripping my shoulder? Not gonna happen. (I hope you have also taken note of my lovely lopapeysa. My friend Joanna knit it for me before we went over. It was so warm and cozy, and I only needed it and not my coat on some days. Even in November!)










Once we checked out of Höfdatún, we headed down to Stokkseyri, a small village on the water. We were told that we just had to try the little seafood restaurant there called Fjöruborðið. We all had The Lobster Everything. That's not what it's really called, but it was loads of lobster: soup, then lobsters in garlic butter, potatoes, bread, salad, and some little sides. And for those who have never had one, Iceland's lobsters — langoustines — are very different from New England lobsters. They are smaller, the tails aren't as chewy, and you don't get the whole thing. Just the tails. Don't tell anyone I said so, but (pssssst) I like them better. As a New England girl, I will deny that I ever said that! It's not like I said it on the internet or anything. Oops.




A view of the sea from the stone wall behind the restaurant.



Next: Meeting Pippa's Boys! 







No comments:

Post a Comment